Sunday, November 04, 2007

What's the point?

My mind is reeling. This morning, I woke up with a clean slate. Objective for the day? Nothing. So I sat with my coffee, and fuzzy warm blanket and watched Mannequin. From there, I started thinking that I should start firming up my holiday plans. Baking cookies with the kids, making gifts for teachers, the mailman and other people. I should get the invites out for Thanksgiving, but beautiful paper ones, not evites like always. Then there is the Cookie Exchange which has become a wonderful tradition. Christmas Eve, I am thinking of having catered, so that no one has to fuss...

Fuss. This sticks with me. Fuss. Rush, hurry, stress. Why has it gotten to that? This has hit me so hard that I have butterflies in my stomach.

Rewind to Thursday Night. Den and I are laying in bed watching TV. We are laughing about how Greg wants the tree up PRONTO- regardless if there are scary pumpkins rotting away on the front porch, waiting for garbage day. As we are discussing the holidays, I proceed to tell him how Christmas day is the culmination of the entire excitement for me. I LOVE Christmas. I always have. Everything leading up to that one day brings me so much joy.

I love going to look at Christmas lights. Putting up the tree, and the lights and watching all of the Christmas ornaments end up at the bottom because the little people can't reach more than 1' over their heads. I love watching holiday movies. Visiting friends and family with the intentions on doing nothing but that one thing. Bringing joy to all of the people I love and cherish.

Fuss. We're back to that one thing. Why has it gotten to this degree? Why is it when Christmas is mentioned, some people stress out because they see dollars blowing out the window? I am pretty upset by this.
My side of the family celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve. We started doing so, because it was getting too hard to get so many things done in one day. Why is that? Why is it that we have an entire year to get so many things done and time to spend with people, yet we limit ourselves to that ONE day? Regardless, we started this tradition so that we don't have to rush around. Yet, as I think about it, we STILL RUSH through it. We rotate houses every year. This year, it is at our house. I am so excited about it. But I'm also a little bent out of shape.

I don't want to RUSH. It isn't FUSSING to me. THESE PEOPLE are my FAMILY. These people are the ones that I hold very dear to my heart. They are my family. The ones that used to scare the crap out of me on Halloween. They are the one's that taught me how to ride my bike. They are the ones that taught me how to curl my hair and put on make up. They are the ones that taught me that honesty and integrity are the most important characteristics that a person can have. They are the ones that put up red and green lights on the house every year so that we could go make snow angels in the front yard in the dark. I LOVE THESE PEOPLE. I don't want to RUSH anything with them. Because it is about us. It is about family. It is about YOU and YOUR family. Not just your immediate family. It is about the people that your siblings chose to marry and have children with. It is about CELEBRATING LIFE and how we are there for each other when the cards are down. Well you know what?

Right now the cards are not down. So it's time we stop rushing. It's not about killing ourselves for that ONE day. It's about time. It's about letting EVERYTHING else go for this one time in the year, and celebrating what we hold so dear.

When I think about how things have gotten, it makes me physically ill. What kind of person have I turned into, if I let my children see that the holiday season is about stress, fussing, rushing and monetary value? Because that clearly isn't why I brought them here.

So this year, my dear family, I ask that you come to Christmas Eve with no other items on your plate for that evening. It is about us and about time. If we rush through that one moment we have together on that one spectacular day, what are we telling each other? What are we telling our children? That our "other things to do" are more important than they are? So with that, I wish that all of you that read this, take time. Forget about what doesn't get done, and focus on what you want your friends, and family to know. That you love them, and that they are so important to you and your life.

Namaste.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:50 AM

    here, here, sis. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:36 PM

    There are many people who, for whatever reasons, do get rushed, stressed, and possibly even depressed at Christmastime. Some people have the kind of jobs that prevent them from being able to get much done in the way of Christmas. Some people have no jobs at all, and can't even afford any Christmas whatsoever. Some people have a spouse who doesn't get "into" anything Christmas related, and therefore the other spouse does it all. Some people find the extra financial stress of Christmastime a bit overwhelming. Some people are suffering from depression, which accelerates at Christmas.
    Society, as a whole, says Yippee it's Christmas....go out and buy, buy, spend, spend, cook, bake, send cards, decorate, etc., etc., etc. Some people who can't "do it all" feel like they aren't keeping up if they can't do all that is expected at Christmas. No wonder there is a feeling of dread for a lot of people at Christmas. It might not be so cheery for some people.
    I don't think rushing and fussing are necessarily the bad guys. If you have the time and money to rush and fuss, then you are one of the lucky ones. If you have any stumbling blocks such as financial, lack of time, physical problems, or mental problems, then Christmas for you, according to "society", will not be up to par.
    Oh but wait, there are some people who never ever have to rush and fuss at Christmastime. They are the ones who have a small number of family members. They probably got their "stuff" done in the first week of August, including food prepped and in the freezer.
    For those who have lots of family members or extended family, it's most likely always going to be a rush/fuss thing. Bottom line.....there are a lot of factors that play into whether or not you are a rush/fuss person or not.
    Just my 50 cents worth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100%. It's not about the money, the spending, the shopping, or a lot of the things that have turned into a crazy Christmas. I'm glad you see it the same way I do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:13 PM

    My Mom always said "Christmas comes the same time every year"Whether your ready or not. Quit watching so much TV. Do things with you children wether it's making ornaments, or baking cookies. Adopt a family and share what has been given to you. Christmas is all about family and Jesus. Everyday we are constantly getting brainwashed into thinking that almighty dollar needs to be spent ON What!In our own family we have some that are in need why can't we help them. To me thats Christmas. Its better to give than to receive, why cant we teach our children that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:15 PM

    The Nut house, you agree with me? I'm not sure about this. I don't think Christmas will ever be a non rush/fuss thing. It is the way it is. Christmas is a hustle and bustle time. It IS about the money, shopping, and spending. Society has said this is how it is. How can we NOT get nuts out at Christmas? Ah ha, but we can make it different! So I am going to propose something for the family. We can take Christmas to the level it was meant to be. If it's not about shopping and spending: then here is my proposal.....We can start with this Christmas or next.(I'm up for it now) Christmas will be all about Family. Not gifts, Family. Ok, we can have food too. No gift exchange. It will be at the house of whoever's turn it is. We have dinner, play games or "whatever", and just be, Family. I'll be glad to email this suggestion to all family members. I'll be interested to see who is up for it. An added twist to this is.....each family takes what would have been spent, and finds something/someone who is in need, and gives to that cause. It doesn't need to be divulged how much you give to a cause. Maybe it won't be monetary giving, but giving your time instead. But it would be interesting to hear everyone's "giving idea".
    What say you?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Spell check!!!! I guess maybe it is "nuttsed out" or "nutsed out" or heck I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the middle of the Persian Gulf, Mike writes:

    I think you should go on tour with your philosophies and outlooks on things... You hit the nail on the head and it takes more effort for me not to stress and worry that everything will come out right, than it does for the things I spend time actually doing to get it accomplished. I've learned that the most stressful times or situations actually requires more calm thought and reflection than reaction and that running around like a maniac only causes me to stress myself out when it's totally not necessary...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with ALL of you. We all pretty much have what we need. We are an instant gratification society... (except when it comes to a new kitchen). I am totally in for what you suggest.

    Christmas has become "I have to do this, and I have to do that, I have to buy this, and I have to buy that". Not so long ago, it wasn't this way. We have conformed to a society driven Christmas. Why is that? It should be what it means to each of us. If it is about a material object to you then so be it. But to me, it isn't.

    There isn't a thing I could buy in a store that could show the magnitude of love and appreciation for my family. So why shop?

    Pattie, as for your suggestion, I am all for it. Although, I still like the idea of a white elephant gift. I have a nice little bird house for Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:52 PM

    You go girl! (Sorry - I can't think of anything better to say.) Just that I agree. Make the holiday about celebrating Christ.

    I really don't stress myself out too much anymore about it, just do what makes me happy. I know it's not necessarily religious but I sorta want to do a gingerbread house. I saw the Ace of Cakes dude, do one out of styrofoam sections....

    Ok, I'm going to stop rambling. Good luck on your crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:52 PM

    You go girl! (Sorry - I can't think of anything better to say.) Just that I agree. Make the holiday about celebrating Christ.

    I really don't stress myself out too much anymore about it, just do what makes me happy. I know it's not necessarily religious but I sorta want to do a gingerbread house. I saw the Ace of Cakes dude, do one out of styrofoam sections....

    Ok, I'm going to stop rambling. Good luck on your crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:52 PM

    You go girl! (Sorry - I can't think of anything better to say.) Just that I agree. Make the holiday about celebrating Christ.

    I really don't stress myself out too much anymore about it, just do what makes me happy. I know it's not necessarily religious but I sorta want to do a gingerbread house. I saw the Ace of Cakes dude, do one out of styrofoam sections....

    Ok, I'm going to stop rambling. Good luck on your crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:53 PM

    You go girl! (Sorry - I can't think of anything better to say.) Just that I agree. Make the holiday about celebrating Christ.

    I really don't stress myself out too much anymore about it, just do what makes me happy. I know it's not necessarily religious but I sorta want to do a gingerbread house. I saw the Ace of Cakes dude, do one out of styrofoam sections....

    Ok, I'm going to stop rambling. Good luck on your crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Good one Val!

    I have been thinking the very same feelings! I have started my shopping and am going to try like heck to finish my Thanksgiving...if the funds hold out! I want to spend December doing the things we are supposed to be doing...visiting, decorating, baking and watching Christmas movies!

    I got my TS order on Friday. I am so happy to be stocked up on my favs before the season kicks in.

    It was great to see you and am looking forward to more family time soon!

    Love-
    your cousin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:54 PM

    Funny....I guess we heard from Katrina, and heard from Katrina, and heard from Katrina!
    Val, should probably spread the word then huh? No gifts. Just good old get together fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Katrina's submit button was sticking. I've done that accidently, and there is no way to take back your posts once they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Yikes sorry about that. Blogger failed me last night.

    ReplyDelete