Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Going 100 mph all the time? Need to slow down? Pick Up a Heel Spur!

In this post, you are going to learn a lot about me that you did not know. First of all, I LOVE gore. I loved working in the ER. Blood and guts... doesn't bother me a bit. I have no issue dealing with clots, then eating chili. Now for a confession. I am the BIGGEST baby on the earth when I am on the receiving end of a needle. I have no problem driving one into another persons hip, thigh or whatever region. But when I am the one getting it... I will get myself so spun up that my blood pressure goes up, my pulse races, and my palms sweat.

I have a heel spur. Many of you that have seen me lately have noticed that I have some sort of limp when I walk. It is because my freaking foot is KILLING ME. I am chalking this one up to some shoes that I bought for work. I am on my feet for my entire shift. I usually wear Nike Crosstrainers. This time, I thought I would get a pair of those cute, trendy, moc's that everyone is wearing. How ironic that since I bought those, my foot started bugging me... since May actually.

My doc has been wanting to give me a steroid injection in the foot since this all started. But, being the big baby that I am, I was desperately trying to find another method. I have been eating Motrin like candy. Stretching my arch on one of those Maglite Flashlights on the floor. I have had massages done, wrapped it, iced it, tried to stay off it. Nada.

So today, I swallow my pride and go to the doctor. As I am sitting in the waiting room, I am talking myself into leaving. It isn't so bad. It actually doesn't hurt today, I tell myself. BUT being that my doctor signs my paychecks, and I see him ALL THE TIME, it's in my best interest to follow through.

He walks in. Here is the conversation that ensues...

V, "You don't have a syringe, do you?"
Doc, "No, but let's take an Xray first to see what is going on. What is it with the shot. Are you afraid of the shot?"
V, "No. I'm afraid of PAIN!".
Doc starts laughing hysterically and sends me off for my Xray.

As H is taking the Xray (a girl I work with frequently), she asks what is going on. I tell her that doc wants to drive a needle into my heel. She winces and tells me she had LOTS of feet problems as a child and doesn't envy me. GREAT I am thinking. The wincing look on her face spoke VOLUMES to me.

After the Xray, Doc peeks back in and says, "It's a heel spur. Come look". So next, Doc, H and I are all standing there looking at the film. Nice. A nice little hook on the bottom of my foot, pointing towards the toes.

I have to admit... and many of you will agree... I was GLAD to see something on the film! Because I have been dealing with this since May (because of my above confession). So as we are walking back to the room, Doc puts his arm on my shoulder and starts trying to talk me into the shot. Then he abruptly tells H, "Know what? Draw up the shot. If I try to talk her into it, she won't do it. Let's not give her a choice". GREAT.... exactly what I was TRYING to avoid.

Let's just say that it WASN'T as bad as I expected it to be. Which is EXACTLY what he told me about 2 months ago when I was asking if there was a magic sprinkle stuff I could put on my food to make this problem go away, :o) I will say that I am very glad that I did not wear a lot of make up though. I would have looked like that televangelist woman. I'm going to keep telling myself that it wasn't that bad, because AFTER I got the injection, he tells me that if the pain comes back, I need to get 2 more injections. See how smart he is? See how well he knows me? He knew FULL WELL that if he told me from the start it would be a total of 3 shots, that would have SEALED THE DEAL.

I must say though... that now my foot is sore from the shot. I expect that by tomorrow I will be much better. But with all of this being said, this day and the beating I put on my self mentally, has slowed me down considerably. I am WORN OUT. I did some running around with Beaudreaux after school, picked up the Queen, and have parked myself on the couch to watch my newly DVR'd shows. It actually feels quite decent to sit and do NOTHING.

So there. It is out. Y'all know I'm a BIG BABY when it comes to a needle! I'm going to hobble back to the couch now. I think something good is coming on TV.

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I understand your "love" of needles. When I found out I was pregnant and had to go in for my bloodwork I had myself so worked up in a tizzy that I almost threw up....the nurse just looked at me and said, "if you think that this is bad you just wait for labor...". Thanks for the sympathy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, we are so much alike. I was horrified about getting an IV when I was pregnant. But after I felt what a contraction felt like, a needle was NOTHING.

    On a funnier note... I used to let the new ER techs practice starting IV's on me. What happened to me? Now I've turned into a total freak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're all freaks. I have no problem with the needle going in me. But a couple months ago Dave got a tooth pulled and he made me look at the bloody hole where is tooth used to be and I started seeing black spots and had to sit down. I can't handle other people's blood.

    ReplyDelete