Monday, October 01, 2007

gen·e·sis: an origin, creation, or beginning.



I would like to start this post by thanking my mom affectionately known as Putter Paula (for putting around their canal in a the little yellow daisy putter). She gave me her phone/camera to use for all the photos you see below. I was scared to death they were going to confiscate it at the door, however I have learned one among many other important things in my age... if you don't carry a purse... they have nothing to search. So I stuck my license in my pocket along with her cell phone.

Wow, what a night!!! I am so tired, I don't think I can make this as funny as it was, but I'll give it a whirl. As you know, for our 10th anniversary, I gave to Dennis, tickets to see Genesis... from the 9th row. Den LOVES Phil Collins. He says he is "my brotha from anotha Motha", lol. So the night started out on a stellar note.

We arrived shortly after 6, and strategically parked so that when we left, all we had to do was pull out, and turn, and voila! We would be out of the parking lot. After getting into the Palace, we went into the bar (that is right on top of the stair ways), to have a couple drinks. Den's drink of choice... Captain & Coke, mine... Grey Goose & Cranberry. We were the first ones into the bar, and chose a seat facing outward so we could watch all the freaks on the concourse. I LOOOOVVVVEEEE to people watch. Our goal... who would see someone they knew first (Den always wins).

After about an hour and a half, Den and I decide to start heading to our seats. As we are waiting for our check, in walks the General Manager of the Tigers and sits at the table behind us. It is at this precise moment that Den looks at me and says, "Have another drink, WE AREN'T MOVING".


Shortly after having yet another drink and knowing full well that if I drink one more, I'm on my way to being hammered, we wrapped things up, paid our bill and off we went. I would like to interject by saying that it SUCKS drinking at a concert or at any other venue, as many bathroom trips ensue immediately thereafter.

We made our way into the concert arena, and down the many flights of stairs to the main floor. When we finally got to our seats, we were floored, lol, I mean literally. You know those "unplugged" concerts you see on tv where everything seems so quaint? THAT is how it felt. Like were were there for one of their private jams.

The concert started around 8:30. It was so unbelievable to be that close. I mean... it is WORTH the big bucks to fork out. For as many shows as we see... it is worth every dime. They played a lot of songs that we all know, Land of Confusion, I Can't Dance, No Son of Mine.
I Can't Dance was my favorite of all. Phil Collins is hilarious. When he hits the part and sings, "Checking everything is in place", he starts adjusting little phil and the twins, and attempting to pull his underware wedgie out of his hiney. It was all in good taste and very funny. He played with the audience a lot too.


Did you know...

The man pictured below to the center/right is Mike Rutherford of Mike and the Mechanics? I did NOT know this. My husband, the KING of useless trivia told me this.

I loved this concerts. I have been to MANY, MANY concerts and actually used to work at them doing EMS (I saw No Doubt when they were an opening band for the Stone Temple Pilots). This concert was amazing. It felt like we were there with a couple hundred friends for a personal jam. It wasn't until Phil started playing with the audience and we turned around to see the other 26,000 people sitting behind us. It was like they weren't even there. It was an incredibly awesome night.

OH and when we left... we pulled out, turned Left, and were out of the parking lot. 1/2 hour after the show ended, we were already home.



Goodnight Genesis. Thanks for another great MEMORY.

Genesis is an English rock band formed in 1967. With approximately 150 million albums sold worldwide, Genesis is among the top 30 highest-selling recording artists of all time.[1] In 1988 the band won a Grammy Award for Best Concept Music Video. Genesis' members have included Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Steve Hackett and Phil Collins, all of whom have achieved success as solo artists.
Genesis began as a 1960s pop band playing moody, simple keyboard-driven melodies. During the 1970s they evolved into a progressive rock band and began to incorporate complex song structures and elaborate instrumentation, while their concerts took on a more theatrical tone. This second phase was characterised by lengthy performances such as the twenty-three minute "Supper's Ready" and, in 1974, the concept album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. The 1980s saw the band produce more accessible pop music based on melodic hooks; this change of direction gave them their first number one album in the United Kingdom, Duke, and their only number one single in the United States, "Invisible Touch".
Genesis have changed personnel several times. Collins, previously the band's drummer, replaced Gabriel as lead singer in 1975, and was replaced by former Stiltskin singer Ray Wilson for the 1997 album Calling All Stations. Due to the commercial failure of that album, the band announced an indefinite hiatus. In October 2006, Collins, Rutherford and Banks reunited for a world tour

3 comments:

  1. I saw Genesis many many many years ago at the SILVERDOME - the worst place in the world for a concert. Sounds like your experience was much better and much more exciting than mine. Glad you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a girlfriend that would be so jealous of you! She absolutely loves Phil Collins. She talks about him like they are close buddies. Glad that you had a great time! I saw Bob Seger last summer and it was like an out of body experience...one of my favorite singers of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had great tickets for U2, I'm NUTS over Bono and felt the same way - I was walking on cloud nine for about 3 days after the concert. It's so cool to see entertainers up close! We are concert freaks and love a good show - sounds like this one was right up there!

    So sorry to hear about your foot - ouch! Does the spur go away with the shots?

    I love the bath story too, I was laughing so hard that Matt asked what I was reading! We made the mistake of installing tiny shower/tub units in our house, in which we can't use the tubs because they are too small. It's kinda like Tommy Boy in tub!!

    Hope all is well, I know you are thinking about K&K as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete