Thursday, May 03, 2007

Boy in a Bubble

I'm becoming addicted. To The Pioneer Woman's website that is. Every since I began reading it, I haven't stopped. I read it EVERY DAY. As funny and photographically (is that even a word?) talented Ree is, I am learning something about myself the more I read her blog. I am an overprotective parent. The photos she shows of her rather young children on these beautiful horses, gathering cattle, makes me feel like I'm in the process of raising sissys. To see her 4 year old on his own horse, makes me feel stupid that I won't let my kids on their bikes without helmets. A horse has a mind of it's own and can "flip out" at any given moment. And here I am, worried that my child will fall off his/her bike in which they are approximately 6" off the ground, and in full control of.

In the past couple weeks, I have realized that I need to relinquish some control and let them be kids. Yesterday was a great experience for me. Dennis, Greg and I went to Weigands Nursery to look for a tree. While the storefront is beautiful, the BEST part is exploring the back 40 to find a hidden treasure. It is dirty, and rocky, but peaceful and enlightening. Greg was fully dressed to catch the bus as soon as we would arrive home.

As we walked through the back of the nursery, Greg found a rock that he wanted to carry around. Then he found a large chunk of wood, approximately 12" long. As he is carrying his "treasures" I happen to look over at him and found that he was covered in dirt. His coat, shirt and pants had dirt all over them. My first inclination was to flip out, but then I remembered Ree's kids on horses and how relaxed she seems to be. Instead of doing what I would normally do, I blew it off and let him have his moment. He's a boy and what damage is dirt going to do if he happens to take it to school with him? Nothing. So with that, I felt that I had a breakthrough moment.

Greg went to school, dirty and all. Dennis and I planted our new tree - A weeping Eastern Redbud which we put in front of our house by the bedroom window. Then when the kids got home from school, we all worked in the front yard. Weeding, putting in weed mat and lots of new, fresh mulch. It was EXACTLY what I needed. I feel so refreshed and renewed, and much more relaxed. Thanks Pioneer Woman. You have enlightened me.

www.thepioneerwoman.com

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:12 PM

    Too funny. He always manages to charm his way into taking home a pair of gloves. How many pairs are in his collection now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Woops! My previous comment was intended for the previous post! Yikes. You know. The dentist one.

    Anyway, glad you had a good day!

    the Pioneer Woman rocks.

    ReplyDelete