Saturday, November 25, 2006

Ummmm yes, I'd like to file a complaint...

Ok, I'm getting on my soap box.
I'm not one to complain especially when it could get someone into trouble, but here it comes...
Today the kids and I visited Grandma, then went to Petsmart to get Cat food for the boys, Booster & Pumpkin. Petsmart isn't the type of place you take kids when you're in a hurry. We looked at fish, dead fish, sharks, parrots, finches, parakeets, chinchilla's, little mice, cats, horse stuff... plus got the food. Here is my gripe...
We ALWAYS go look at the kitties that are up for adoption. We never adopt any because I value my marriage too much, plus just don't want another cat in my house, but we always visit them, talk to them and play with them for a little bit.
On each cage, there is a sheet telling what kind of cat it is, male or female, neutered or spayed, declawed or not, and a large section telling why that cat is there, or just general characteristics of it, like... needs to be only cat, very loving cat, etc...
Well the past few times that I've been there, I've noticed something else that just got on my nerves. The person that writes up the forms, seems to feel it's necessary to tell what they think of the owners that got rid of those cats...
Like today... one cat was found wandering on a road. So the person writing the form went on to say how the owner wouldn't have "LOST" the kitty if the cat was left inside the house ALL THE TIME. It was more descriptive than I'm being, but you get the gist of it.
Then another one... "Owners brought cat to shelter because they are moving to California. Apparently the state isn't big enough for both of them"
You know.. (here I go) When they post those, they have NO IDEA what the situation is that people either lost their cats, or gave them to a shelter, but regardless it doesn't need the writers judgement put on that paper.
I've seen this every time I've been in that store for the past few times, and it is very disturbing. I just got off the phone with their customer service, who is sending my complaint to Corporate. I told them..."You know, I LOVE my cats dearly and it would absolutely crush me to have to get rid of them. The only way I would do it is if it was 100% necessary. First of all, I would NEVER let them go by letting them outside, but secondly, I would NEVER bring them to a Petsmart Adoption center, because the people that write those forms, would make me feel like crap. How do they know that the person that has to move to California isn't visiting their kitty every now and then until they actually leave the state? How would they feel to see what that writer said about them?" Regardless of how those cats got there, it isn't the place of the employee's to cast judgement on the previous owners.
Now, I'm posting this, because if someone get's canned out of this (and I hope they don't), and they decide to come bust a cap in my ass, y'all are witnesses. (Please make sure that the Prosecuting Attorney is aware of my not wanting anyone to get fired) The Customer Service knows my name, address and phone number along with email address. I just want to know that the next time I go in there, I'm not going to be reading someone's opinion that is shredding someone else apart.
And once again, that is my .02 cents.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:57 PM

    I agree with you 100% - good of you to take the time to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:11 PM

    I believe that the people responsible for pet adoptions are volunteers.Volunteers where animals are concerned are usually activist types and they can be quite caustic,and I'm sure they have seen alot of mistreatment and abuse.I also think that they try any means necessary to get people to adopt animals,be it pity,guilt,and other tactics as well.They simply are trying to keep these animals from being put to death.Somebody's got to do the dirty work for us that don't want to deal with it.Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. While most people that run adoption centers are volunteers, the ones at Petsmart are actual employees. I understand that they want the animals adopted, but when a family member is allergic and they have to give the pet up for adoption, the person writing the tags up doesn't need to make the former owner feel so awful about it. Regardless of who they are or what their intentions are, they need to find a new medium for their sarcastic remarks. I personally do not wish to see them.

    Every tagged cage in that shelter had some sort of nasty comment on it. They just need to find a new way to get their point across. It didn't make me want to adopt, in fact, it sent me running the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:44 PM

    It seems to me that you had an opportunity to donate a cat to an uncertain future.Not to mention that you were not completely honest about the circumstances.People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that wasn't very nice. Maybe before saying such a pleasant thing, you should have asked more questions. Like has Greg stopped asking what happened to his cat? I knew completely that Snickers needed to be in a home where she was an only cat. If I had told them that she was messing in the basement, they would have destroyed her. In an effort to give her another chance, I had to do what I had to do. It wasn't to be malicious. Thanks for making me feel so much better about it. She was a very young cat and I cried for days about what I had to do. Thank you so much for digging the knife in a little further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the record, I would like to say that I'm sorry I let my brother, Mark's comments get to me. I'm not sure where he was coming from. Maybe he had a bad day. Regardless, I didn't mean to bring that sort of negativity to the blog. I have fun doing this, but he got into my kitchen (my head) and I just handled it wrong. I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete