Friday, January 25, 2008

Undecided...

As you can tell, I can't make a decision on my blog colors. So I am back to this refreshing, soothing and calming template. It fits my soul at this moment.

Inquiring minds want to know....

What Happened To Sunday?
A few years ago, Melanie and I decided to meet on a Sunday for lunch. The arrangement was to meet at the Appetizer restaurant in the little village of Milford. I was the first to arrive.
I drove to the bank to use the ATM. It was then that I noticed that all of the stores seemed to be closed. Shortly after, I noticed that the restaurant was closed as well.
Every store on mainstreet was closed for the day.
I contacted Mel and we agreed to meet at Lu & Rubys Bar and Grill on Milford Road.
We had a great lunch and even shared a deep fried snickers bar for dessert!
So my question is, What happened to Sunday? It was so nice to see a quiet town completely closed up, the way it used to be. Some of you may not know that I lived right outside Milford. That is where I met Melanie and Katrina. Mel was my neighbor, and Katrina was my friend from elementary school.
As a child, I remember that NOTHING was open on Easter nor Christmas, including Sundays. If you needed something, you had to either prepare in advance, or you were out of luck. To me, life was so much simpler then. So much more laid back.
Now we are all so busy, it is amazing we don't run into ourselves coming and going.
I miss this simple way of life. It makes me want to try and hold on to Sundays and to try and keep life the same way for my kids. I want them to grow up appreciating their time, and to remember that they don't always have to be running. They don't always need to have something else to do. Sometimes it's just about being. Being in the moment.
I can do this. And I'm going to try.

2 comments:

  1. We're a 24/7, instant gratification society. Sometimes I long for the simple days as well. Ya know, before cell phones and wireless internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya!

    Sunday's in our house included my Mom making a HUGE dinner and all 5 of us kids would be there come h*ll or high water. The dinner would usually be a roast or something special and ALWAYS included dessert, which was usually chocolate pudding in these red antique sundae glasses she had.

    Sunday dinners remind me to of when my mom would say "go outside and play." Oh yeah, and "Play" usually meant creating some game that the entire neighborhood participated in and lasted until dusk when our mom's whistled for us to come home! :-)

    ReplyDelete