Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Strike a Pose!

On Sunday I paid a visit to our favorite fruit & veggie market, Nino Salvaggio's. Here's a little triva for you... The strawberries on their sign represent the first item they sold. Nino Salvaggio used to sell Strawberries on the corner of a busy intersection in St. Clair Shores. His little road side stand did so well, that he started selling other veggies too. Now they are a chain!

So back to Nino's... www.ninosalvaggio.com . As you walk into our Nino's, you go through the front door and are in somewhat large area that has produce on either side of the aisle. In the time it took me to buy 1 package of romaine lettuce, and 1 container of spring mix, approximately 20 people, buggies included, cruised past me. As soon as I walked in, the smell of hyacinths hit me. Spring is in the air. The mob that had blown my doors off in the vestibule had all congregated in the produce section. My immediate thought, "What was I thinking?! Who in their right mind goes to Nino's on a Sunday? I should have came on a Tuesday immediately after putting child B on the bus!"

I made my way through the section buying incredibly fresh bananas, fresh mushrooms to go with the prime rib I had planned for dinner, tomatoes, and 5 cucumbers for little boy blue, aka; child B, or Greg. It was a nightmare to navigate. Luckily everyone was cheerful and that made it better. Note to self... NEVER leave your buggy if even for a moment in that chaos. You will never see it again.

Prior to my shopping excursion, I had asked Mr. Disconnected to fax in a lunch meat order for me. This way they will have it done and waiting at the cheese counter. If you get anything at all out of his name, you will know that it wasn't done. I am chalking that up to Sunday being his Mom's birthday. She died 2 years ago on the 17th. I let him off the hook as he's been a little spacey lately. Pattie & Mark came for dinner that night, and she can attest that I did get a little snippy with Mr. D because I asked him 4 times to make a salad. Meanwhile, I had to build a barstool, clean the bathrooms, vacuum the living room, sweep the kitchen floor and cut mushrooms. I got all accomplished with the exception of the mushrooms which Pattie did a stellar job cutting and the salad, which I finally got the point across to Mr. D that I REALLY needed him to make. So back to Nino's.

After stocking up on the goods, I headed to the grocery section. Something happened. I think it happened right in that area. I found espresso. I have been looking for that! I have been looking for that for Y...E...A... R... S to bake with. Now I don't have the recipe and don't need it, but I was so blown away. It was like a revelation. After I got over my excitement, I continued on my quest, remembering to buy milk. I bought a few other things, and by the time I reached the check out, I was ready to strike a pose...


I have no idea what it is about that store. Maybe it's the stunning flowers all smiling at you when you come through the door with the rush of hyacinth in the air. The apples look like they've been rubbed with diapers. Almost every employee I have encountered there greets you with a smile. They have things you would never imagine to find there. Including a great selection of wines for connoseurs like me :o) . They have a juice section that would blow your mind. The Vitamin C blast won my vote last time. Next visit, it will be the pineapple banana variety.

Finally at the check out, I had a great conversation with the cashier as always. Different girl, different day, same great conversation. Their theory on the crowd had to do with the weather... the earth shattering 3 inches of snow that we never got. Regardless, the cashier said I was being good because I did succumb to 1 Lindt Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, and not her normal fist full. ;o) I wonder how she stays so thin? Ah it doesn't matter... Namaste.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 PM

    I really enjoy the way you write. It makes me want to write the way I once did and as it was, minored in writing in college only to be come a technical project manager instead. You are such a unique person (and I mean this is a good way - not like looking down my nose at you unique or unique meaning weird or strange) Just really glad you tracked me down after all those years. You're a rare find in a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:53 PM

    I agree with mel.

    unique = good

    and I'm glad you're my friend and such an important person in my life.

    Namaste to you!

    ReplyDelete