Saturday, January 06, 2007

Please Send Good Karma

I think we are having a "disturbance" in this house. Many of you know... we used to have HORRENDOUS computer problems. They were so bad, that every time we would complain, we got the standard reply, "BUY A NEW COMPUTER". We dumped so much money into this computer that it is sick. How could we ever buy a new computer?

I found this awesome guy. He owned a computer store up the road from us. He is related to a friend of ours. He cleaned it out, tweaked it up, added software. He can make anything run. Unfortunately the rent on the store was $4,000 per month, and the ended up having to close the store. So he does it out of his home. Now I need to find that phone number!

There is something seriously wrong with our home pc. As I type this, I am on the laptop at the dining room table. I just finished doing a few things with my online class, and am taking a little "mental break" before jumping back in again.

So a couple days ago - Thursday as a matter of fact, I posted what a horrendous day it was. I have learned that I do not like Microsoft. I like their products, but the fact that they charge an arm and leg for them, then want $35 just to talk to you, blows my mind. I talked to them twice only to be told this. The girl on the phone the second time wouldn't even answer a yes or no question.

So, you know what... I'm going to throw this out to you in cyberspace. I think I made a huge mistake. With the laptop, I bought a program that has MS word on it. I knew I was going to need it for school. Well that same program comes with a bunch of other programs on it. MS money for one. We are trying to set up a budget here at home, so I thought that would be great on the home PC. So I downloaded it to the home computer. That's where everything has started going downhill. I think that the "product key" on the back of that CD went into my home computer, and now I can't use the product key on my laptop! Does anyone know anything about this? Is there a limit of 1 use per product key on MS products?

I have been through enough with these computers and with my online class going on now, I don't have time for this. I'm ready to pull out the credit card, and surrender at the mercy of another product key for the word program. Anything to make it work!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    You should be able to load it on both computers. People "share" those programs all the time. Not neccesarily ethical, but for you with having two computers totally acceptable, in my opinion. Anyway, it should work. Don't pay for another one. Find a geek and ask him to help you make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:52 AM

    OK, let me get this out of the way first and then I will shut up about it. You guys have more computer troubles than the U.P. has SNOW! Just don't understand it.
    OK.....the wonderful guy who has helped you in the past...he's a friend of a friend right? Call the mutual friend and get Mr. Computer Geek's phone number. Did you ever have this geek work on your computer problems out of his house? If so, go to his house!
    Next thing, once you pay MS their 35 dollars, you have "opened a case#", and you won't be charged 35 dollars every time you call them regarding the same problem. If they can't help you in the end, they might refund you the 35 dollars. This happened to me. Since they couldn't solve my problem, I got a refund for the 35 dollar tech support fee.
    Have you agreed to pay them a fee yet? Do you think your problem(s) could be solved by MS? If the problem can be solved, by all means pay the 35 dollars! If you are sure that they can't help you, find the Geek guy! Kind of got two choices here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:01 AM

    Oooooops, just one more thing. What about the computer geek/family member guy? Have you checked with him?

    ReplyDelete