Saturday, September 22, 2007

Weekend Wine Review


This weekend, Dennis picked up a 72 hour shift. That essentially means that he went to work on Thursday morning and he won't come home until Sunday morning. There is a lot of talk about how 'easy' firefighters have it, but all I have to say to those people is...
At YOUR job... do you do what you're trained to do or
what your WILLING to do?
It sucks knowing full well that my husband could die for a perfect stranger if it means saving that person's life, or the life of their child, yet "firefighters have it easy".
Speaking of saving someone's life. I am extremely proud to say that my husband and his glory hound partner had ANOTHER CPR SAVE (the person died right in front of them, and they brought them back) yesterday! That is their SECOND CPR save within 1.5 WEEKS!!! It might sound like a piece of cake, but the best way I can describe it is exactly how DEN described it..
Everything is going just fine and smooth in the back of the ambulance, then suddenly someone throws in a grenade!
Coming from someone who used to work in EMS... let me tell you... saves don't happen - hardly EVER!
Kudos to you Den and your awesome partner too! No wonder you are referred to as

The Dream Team.
On to wine in review.

Tonight I had the pleasure of dining with my neighbor and her three children. Her husband is fishing until tomorrow.

She brought down this AMAZING bottle of wine to share.

She said they bought this wine by the case down at Eastern Market, but thinks it can be found locally, like at Meijer. Miranda, not sure where you would find it... but I took a photo of it so all of you have the details.

This wine has a beautiful color to it. It is a white wine. I would almost describe it as a dessert wine. It is not at all dry (I'm not big fan of dry whites). It is very smooth on the palate, with a pear flavor to it. There is no after taste. Just an amazingly smooth wine that I will most definitely be purchasing and taking to my other wine drinking friends. It's been a long time since I've had a bottle this good... except for the "shoe incident" at "D's".


All in all a great wine to share... or to drink alone if your infant just got needles driven into his thighs, although I would want something heavier on that occasion. :o)


After we finished that bottle, we moved along to one I picked up on sale at Meijer.


WINTER WHITE

You know how when it is bitter cold out, the air almost has a bite to it? That is how I would describe this wine, after drinking the wine mentioned above.

It was a VERY, VERY good wine, however, I poured Mrs. Neighbor a glass and she didn't finish it. I asked if she liked it and she said yes, but she drank a lot of the other bottle. Which she probably did, however I still think she didn't care for it.

It was very good and I think having not followed the other bottle, it would have been a pretty big hit with a white meat dish.

WINTER WHITE was very clear in color. Almost like water. It was very crisp, and clean tasting. It definitely reminded me of winter. I would most definitely buy this bottle again... It is a pretty bottle too.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick Umberto Fiore Moscato D'Asti (sparkling)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics...I love wine!!!! My hubbie is really into white wines so this might be a new fave of his...if I can find it! If not we are coming home for Turkey Day and I can pick some up then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:48 AM

    oh, I hav 3 recommendations.

    For whites:
    1. Hogue Chardonnay - don't let the screw top fool you this is a light and refreshing Chardonnay.

    2.Copolla Chardonnay. More full-bodied than the Hogue yet really buttery tasting. It's my fave in the winter.

    For red:
    Cavit - Pinot Noir - this is so inexpensive for a Pinot Noir and it's fabulous. Our neighbors in chicago got us hooked on this one. Goes great with Sushi ;)

    ReplyDelete