Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Honesty

Johnny is a friend of the family. His parents are my sisters godparents. Johnny is a detective in a nearby city. Shortly before he was hired on to the department, he and I hung around together frequently. He always told me... "If you get pulled over, TELL THE TRUTH. The cop will know if you are lying".

And so I did.

One summer night, I was on my way home from Crittenton, where I worked in the ER. I came barreling over a hill, in the dark and immediately saw him. I just passed a sheriffs car. As soon as I saw him, I looked down and realized I was doing 15 over. I looked up and saw his break lights in the mirror. I pulled over. He wasn't even turned around yet, and I was already on the side of the road.

He walks up to the car and asks (as if I'm stupid), "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
I reply, "Yes, I was speeding".
He says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
I reply, "When I saw your brake lights, I looked down and I was doing 15 over".
He says with a smile, "Exactly"
He then proceeds to ask me where I worked, and why I was in a hurry. I explained to him that I was an ER tech and I worked at Crittenton. He asks what an ER tech does, so I told him, "Start IV's, draw blood, foleys, whatever."

And then he asks... "Are you going to be nice to me if I ever come into the ER"
I replied, "Not if you give me a ticket!".
He steps back, looks into my window and says, "What if I give you a ticket?"
And I told him... and I was honest...
"I'm going to stick you with the biggest IV needle I can find, when I start your IV".
He handed me back my license/registration, and says, "Have a nice night!".

No comments:

Post a Comment