Friday, December 29, 2006

Dress Blues...

So, this is the Fireman's Dress Uniform, that people RARELY see. As I have come to find out, it is the uniform worn for funerals. Tonight, Chris (Greg's Godfather and Sterling Heights Fireman) and Dennis are going to a Pass and Review of a Clinton Township Fireman. If you have not ever seen one of these before, it is a very moving and emotional thing to see. Never a dry eye in the place.

The Firemen, Police and EMS professionals line up outside the funeral room, and walk single file into the room from the back. They then come up the side of the room to the front of the casket, turn and pause to pay their respects. It is very quiet, and very emotional. The professionals come from all over the state. Hundreds of them.

A few years ago, a friend of ours, Mark Cooke (Washington Township Fireman/Paramedic) died from pancreatic cancer. As far as emotions go, it was a horrendous funeral. At the Church as the rest of us watched, the chief walked across the room, handing Mark's helmet to his wife.

Need I say more? Those who know me and know me well, need not ask what my reaction was. I can't even watch commercials without crying some times.

Regardless, Chris came tonight to meet up with Dennis. They did not drive together, because after the Fireman's Funeral, Dennis is going to another funeral home to pay respects for his friend Scott's son. Colton was 11 years old and suffered from severe Cerebral Palsy. He had a seizure yesterday and suffocated.

Now I didn't intend to bring ya'll down. I only intended on letting you see my hot tamale in that awesome uniform!


I just thought I should mention why they were both dressed the way they are.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment