Sunday, December 16, 2007

I Adore These People...


My Mom & Dad

Photo taken 09-14-1996

I know the photo is old... but it is one of my favorites, because there aren't too many photos of the two of them together... at least I don't have that many (remember to change that...).

Today is Sunday. I spent yesterday with my sister, and the kids were with my parents, baking Christmas cookies. They spent the night there, and I spent the night at my sisters.

I woke up early, and went out into the blizzard to pick up my kids. It took me about 20 minutes to clear the 2 feet of snow from my car. The drive to their house was nerve wracking at best. I had atmospheric music on... Thanks to XM Radio Channel 77... to try and keep "breathing".

My parents live in Harrison Township. There is only one road leading to their house. They are sandwiched between Lake Saint Clair and Selfridge Air National Guard Base - which you see on the news frequently.

The road leading in drives next to the fence of SANG, and the Clinton River. When it snows, as it has today, the snow is blown across the airport runways (2 miles of FLAT LAND) and blows all over North River Road. I white knuckled the steering wheel the whole way there. This road winds and curves almost the entire way there. Taking a turn too fast and your car is sliding towards the river, or into oncoming traffic. Today, the road was cleared wide enough for 1 car to fit through... no mather if you were coming in or going out. By the time I reached their house, I was nearly hysterical. I went straight for the bathroom, so I could "let go" and have a quick breakdown. It was that horrendous of a drive... and I had to turn around and go back the other way... with kids.

My parents IMMEDIATELY knew I was a wreck. My mom made me take off my coat and stay. She made me pancakes, sausage and bacon and offered me coffee. Their house was the warmest and most welcoming I had felt in years. Exactly what I needed. As I sat at the table, my Dad came and sat next to me, and broke bread with me.

Shortly after... I was ready to try the journey again... only this time, I wasn't an emotional wreck. Because my parents gave me exactly what I needed. I don't think there is a word to describe what they gave me, but what it was.... it was priceless.

And that is only one small tiny thing out of a million things...

That I adore about my Mom and Dad.


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:37 PM

    What a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that in 20 years your kids will be saying the same thing about your. Very touching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just your description of the drive made me nearly hysterical.

    No one can sooth an ouchie like mom and dad, huh?

    Glad you made it home in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:26 PM

    I love that pic of your parents. They look great.

    ReplyDelete