Thursday, December 27, 2007

HOB JOBS

"Mom" he declares, "I want the Ove Glove for hob jobs around the house". " Hob jobs around the house?" I question. "Yep. That way when I get older, I have the ove glove for hob jobs and I can make money".

Child B is so eloquent, and so matter of fact. Plus he has such a conscience. The other day while we were out, he said something he shouldn't have. Of course Child A was right there to point the finger. "MOM! He said the B word!". "What did you say Greg?" I asked sternly. And there it was... coming out of my precious childs mouth were the words, "Son of a B****". Immediately, Child A bursts into laughter. Of course, I do too, but don't want him to see me. I could NOT believe my child just said it AGAIN... even though I asked him to. I honestly thought he would say, "I said the B word". But NOPE... he said it and used it in a sentence too!

"If I EVER hear that word or any other bad word, come out of your mouth again, I PROMISE you that you will have soap in your mouth!" End of subject.

Shortly after we arrived home, the kids got ready for bed. I came out of the hallway, to find Greg sitting on the hearth of the fireplace, rocking back and forth, sobbing... holding onto a stuffed Santa. Quite alarmed and sympathetic I asked, "WHAT is wrong?" "I'm getting coal. I just know I'm getting coal. I said the MOTHER of all bad words and I feel so guilty". Speechless. I felt HORRIBLE for him in that very moment and realized how sensitive he is, and that he does indeed feel guilt. Horrendous, looming, elephant on your back, guilt. I reassured him that everyone makes mistakes, and that I was fairly sure he would NOT get coal for Christmas.

Never have I seen a child mind his P's and Q's as much as he did from that day forward... and Santa did NOT leave him coal. In fact, he made out quite well. Lucky boy.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable. Our 12 year old still spells H-E-L-L. But the 7 year old is going to be our little potty mouth. I love how they all have such individual personalities right from the time they are born.

    ReplyDelete