Friday, August 29, 2008

Change of Command

If you haven't noticed, we are still in South Carolina. We have family kitty/house sitting at our home this week.

I am an emotional wreck as my brother has "officially" retired from the Navy. Chief Petty Officer Michael A. Wampler has been relieved of his watch. And we cried the whole way through it.

It is amazing how some things can really put your life into perspective. I was in 10th grade when my mom called the school. I had a new nephew. Christopher Marc had just been born. It was this summer that I proudly witnessed that same baby boy, graduate from Naval Boot Camp. It was this same child, this little boy who is now a man, a Sailor of the United States Navy, that relieved his father from his watch. As he stood at the podium in uniform, with his father facing him, he looked at his dad, and said, "I relieve you of your watch" and the tears flowed from our faces.

This summer has really been an emotional roller coaster for me. And again the funny thing is that it isn't about me at all. My brother joined the navy in 1984. I was 12. He left our home to embark on an uncertain journey. He threw caution to the wind and set sails... for San Diego, California. My parents always thought he would never make it. And he did come home... right after boot camp, with a duffel bag full of uniforms. He was on leave to get married, and would be going to Mayport, Florida.

At one point, he and his family moved up to Michigan. They lived on Selfridge Air National Guard base... right out my parents back door. I then witnessed the birth of 2 more nephews. I was there, the night Craig was born, and then came Michael Jr, who was 5 months old when they returned do Florida - never to live in Michigan again.

During that time, my we visited my brother a few times, and have always stayed close. Due to his hard work and determination, my brother rapidly advanced in his career, yet to me - he was still the same guy that watched Bugs Bunny with us on Saturday mornings, and LOVED fruit loops. He was still the same guy that tried to feed us raw chicken one night when he was watching my sister and I. Yes, he tried to kill us, but we knew he did it out of love, ;o)
He started out on a wood bottom naval ship, advancing to the largest of aircraft carriers. He went in knowing no one, and ended knowing thousands.

Today is my brother's day. I am 1,000 miles from home to be with him, and just witnessed one of the most poignant moments in not only his life, but ours as well. I stole glimpses of my parents through the ceremony, in between my own sets of tears. I watched as my brother, was honored and relieved of his duties.

The course of his life has been changed, and we look forward to what the future holds for him. I am so glad to be here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm smiling reading this!! How wonderful...

    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moments like that are so emotional to witness. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe and blessed trip....and thank your brother for all the hard work he has done throughout the year from me!

    ReplyDelete