Friday, April 18, 2008

Silence is GOLDEN

Yesterday I had one of those, "Can't get moving" kind of days, and I mentally beat myself up for it. It was gorgeous out and I should have been very busy doing my "chores". Yet I sat on the sidewalk drawing Earth Day pictures with Emily. Then I helped Greg ride his bike. Then we went to Subway for dinner, which is taboo (as we're trying to cut back on eating out).

But today...

Today I woke up, and had my bed made and room cleaned before frick and frack left for school. I fed them breakfast, got Greg dressed, made sure they didn't go out the door with a face covered in muffin crumbs or tooth paste. After they left, I got a TON of stuff accomplished. PLUS... I showered, and did my hair...(which is a job now that I'm letting it grow out - and using a flat iron every day).

But the biggest thing I am noticing is how tranquil it is with the TV off, no music on, and literally nothing but the birds outside, and the cars out on the main road - which I think sounds like ocean waves if you close your eyes... that is until a fire truck comes barreling by.

Tranquil. Birds. Silence. It's a GREAT day.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes you need a day of nothing to motivate you for a day of activity!

    Plus a day is never wasted when you spend it drawing pictures! How fun!

    I too notice that on the days I keep the TV off, miraculously I'm more productive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tv can be a time sucker. But I agree with jro - sometimes you need a do nothing day. That's why I'm sitting here surfing the blogs instead of washing my kitchen floor (which needs to be done desperately). I do have laundry going - does that count?

    I can tell everyone is in better spirits now that winter seems to have taken a final bow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know cars do kind of sound like waves if you close your eyes! Of course we get some big "waves" near us, being that semi's travel our rode quite frequently!

    ReplyDelete