Tuesday, September 01, 2009

She couldn't have said that...

This weekend we are heading to Tennessee for a family reunion on my mom's side. We will be meeting relatives that I've heard stories about, but have never had the opportunity to meet. I don't know about your family, but it seems to me that families are falling apart. Cousins that we grew up seeing all the time, we barely know anymore. Some I haven't seen since 1986!

When you look at other cultures, many are VERY family oriented and some will not allow marriages outside of their own nationality. Can you blame them? This country has turned into a giant melting pot. Just throw everything into the mix, it will be ok. Well really? Cause it sure doesn't seem that way. People are busier than ever, and why is that? Why are we all working ourselves to death, just to live. Who wants to "just live"? I would rather be broke, living in a run down shack, and to have a life rich in family, and values, than to have all the money in the world.

One of my relatives recently said, "This will be the first and last family reunion. Our parents have maybe a year or two left".

"A YEAR OR TWO LEFT?" What the heck?! My parents are 66 years old! A year or two left?!
Then I started thinking about it.... she may actually be right.

How sad is it when people stop taking care of themselves. Is their outlook on life so bad that they can't wait to be 6 feet under? I look at my parents and think... they are a wreck. I won't go into details, because if you really know me, you already know the details. I'm just so sad that they don't veiw themselves the way their family does. They could easily have another 30 years, and healthy ones at that, if they only took care of themselves instead of throwing in the towel.

So this weekend, we are heading to Tennessee for a family reunion, I'm very excited about it, but her comment will be looming over my head for the next couple years. I just hope she isn't right.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, but I'll send it in email. Just in case my mom is snooping around ;-)

    ReplyDelete