Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"The List"

Last week was pretty bad for Greg. It was spring break. They got out on Thursday, and by Friday night, he had a rip roaring fever. This wasn't so great considering the Easter Celebration was to be held at our house. Alas, we still had it here, but little boy blue was sick in my bed the whole time. By Monday, I had to take him to the Doctor.

Sinus Infection we were told. We were given an Rx and sent on our way. On Thursday, we had him back to the doctor as he was still running a 102 fever. Change and antibiotics, and VOILA! He was better by Friday night.

His little illness put the kabosh on every plan we had for that week. I felt HORRIBLE for him as he was the only one counting down days until his "break". What a break that was.

Emily and I went to see the Hannah Montana movie on Wednesday while Greg stayed home with Den. What a GREAT MOVIE. I totally loved it. Absolutely purchase worthy in our book. Regardless, we heard The Climb the other day in the car. I really like this song and the message that is sent. I asked Emily if she knew what the song was about.

We then started talking about life. I told her about my brother Mike and how he told me about "the dash" poem I posted earlier. She then said, "I love Uncle Mike, they should move up here". I then told her how he and Mary Ann plan to move to Tennessee in a couple of years. Of course, then Peepers pipes up and says, "Let's move to Tennessee! I love it there".

I never realized how unrealistic it is for us to relocate. Not that I'm seriously thinking of moving, but to put things into perspective, I explained that Dennis doesn't have a "normal" job by any sense of the word.

A huge amount of training and education goes into the preparation for the job. Then when a F.D. is hiring, you have to apply. Then you take a test. If you rank high on the test, you get on "the list". Then when your number is called, you have an interview, and a backround check, and an agility test. Then maybe, just maybe, they will hire you. Of course then you are on probation for like 6 months to a year.

I can honestly say in Dennis' 14 years on the department, I don't think I have EVER seen anyone quit. Can you blame them? I have, however, seen many people end up being #1 on "the list" only to have that list expire without them ever receiving a phone call.

Which brings me to this... I found out I have 3 classes to take before the end of Fall, to apply to the Nursing program at the college. Unfortunately I found this out AFTER my priority registration expired. So I ended up being waitlisted for a class I desperately needed to get into. #15 out of 15. Yuk. Then it happened...
#11 out of 15
#7 out of 15 (then they opened up another class, but I didn't need that one, but it made the waitlist smaller...
#6 out of 13
#4 out of 13...
#3 out of 12... and finally yesterday...
#1 out of 12
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This morning... I got in. RELIEF! Now send good karma for an A, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment