Thursday, April 30, 2009

Did I Ask?

When a woman announces her pregnancy, people seem to think that is the green light for them to go ahead and dump their pregnancy or delivery disasters on them. Everyone has had something bad happen, or they try to "out do" the others with their stories.

I didn't have the most wonderful pregnancies. There. I said it. I loved being pregnant, but my body seemed to think otherwise. I survived. So did my children. End of story. I believe that this kind of information shouldn't be "dumped" on to the newly expecting mother because there is no need for it. I mean, why would you do that to someone? "Congratulations! We are so excited for you! But...." I just don't understand that mentality.

That whole scenario brings me to this...

I've told you all that I've switched gears and am aiming for the Nursing program at Macomb. While every one of you have given me a HUGE kudos, there are a great many that have "shared" their major problems with me, even though I NEVER asked for the information.

"FORGET IT! You'll NEVER get in" I've heard. "My son has a 4.0 but didn't score that well on the HESI test, so he didn't get in. Good luck." Oh and then there's... "I've got a 4.0, and scored high on my HESI and I didn't get in"... blah, blah, blah.

I have found ONE consistancy in EVERY stories I've heard. Every single person that gave me their unsolicited advice... transferred their credits from other colleges. I've heard it through the grapevine (a few years back), that most schools will take most of their own students, before taking transfer students. While I'm not banking on this theory, it does sound that it could be a possiblity. Even still... What makes any one of those story telling people think that I am like all the rest of the candidates? Why would they say these things, trying to undermine my intentions and drive?

You know me. You know that my glass is almost always half full. Even with all of the negativity flying my way, I'm still looking PAST the obstacle at the goal. I can see it on the other side, plain as the nose on my face. The obstacle is "getting in". I am living proof that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Paramedic school was relentless. It was hard, challenging, and extremely rewarding at the same time. I worked my butt off and received all A's. Before I ever got into EMT school, I totally thought it was a pipe dream. It wasn't. It was attainable just as anything else is if you work hard and focus on the finish line.

I am excited. I am so excited and just FULL of energy to complete this next chapter in my life. I LOVE to learn new things, and love to reach the goal. I just wish people would put a sock in it when it comes to their negative comments. I, appropriately named Queen Busta Chops am speechless when it comes to their negativity. I wish I knew the appropriate thing to say to put an end to their unsolicited comments, without sounding like a total jerk.

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:21 PM

    1. I'm so incredibly proud of you for going for this. I know you've been wondering "what's next?" for a while & I'm glad you found it.

    2. Because you're "Queen Busta" you may want to try your question back at 'em. Or you could ask them why they are telling you this. I find that the questions really throw people. I really don't think they speak which is why I said that a lot of people are unconscious.

    Another approach. This is MY journey and is different than theirs. I have loads of EMT & MA experience ON TOP of good grades so bite me. (sorry if that's too lewd I really did tone it down a lot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You are so right. I think people really don't think about what they are going to say before they say it. They say things unconsciously and don't even realize it until it comes back around and bites them in the ass... with a question! lol. I am TOTALLY going to do that.

    I am so driven!!! It was always "I'm getting in", and now it's "I'M GOING TO PROVE IT TO THEM!!" BIATCHESSSS!!!

    ReplyDelete