Thursday, January 15, 2009

Who'd a Thunk It?!

First off, I felt my post on the hawk was sort of lame. Well who'd a thunk this hawk would have an impact on the family. Because of the lack of birds, Pumpkin & Charlie are spending their days sleeping, instead of looking at the little turkey dinners out on the bird feeders. Therefore, they kept us all up the other night, because they weren't "tired"! Lucky enough, the birds returned yesterday and the patio was a "buzz" with bird traffic. The cats were up ALL DAY, glued to the window, and slept all night with a hangover.

Today was my first day of school. I had a bit of a breakdown before I went in, because this isn't like any other college class. This is a class that I've dropped twice before because I had the intelligence of a box of rocks. The last time I attended Macomb Community College, was in 1995. When I went to purchase the book for my current class, I found that not only have they added new buildings, but they've also moved the bookstore. Who'd a thunk they would move it in the 14 years that I was absent.

I went into a brand new building today and BAM! I was transported to high school. The last time I set foot on that campus, was probably the year most of those kids were born. At least it felt that way. I felt SO OLD!!! Girls and their cutsie little purses, and their jingling keys... their trendy little cellphones. Guys driving what they believe to be hot cars, with the windows down in 6 degree weather, and cologne billowing out the windows, radios thumping. OMG. I am so old.

My professor is an older gentleman. He and I could probably relate on a lot of different issues, which is probably why he kept looking at me, as if he were talking DIRECTLY to me. He would laugh, I would laugh. The teenie boppers would continue being disrespectful by carrying on their meaningless little conversations.

It was a very eye opening day and if there is anything that became crystal clear, it's that I'm in it to win it my friends. I'm not there because it's just that thing you do after high school. I'm there because I choose to be there. I'm there to accomplish something that is major to me, that will carry me on to a greater thing.

So while I felt very awkward at first, I realize that I have experienced so many more things than these young people, and that I am so set in my life. They have a lot of uncertainties coming their way, where I am certain... that I will ACE this class. Whatever it takes.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! you will rock that class like nothing you have ever done before! Just keep that same attitude and you will do great!

    ReplyDelete