Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Uncharted Waters

There comes a time in every parent's life that they are suddenly put on the spot. When to let the child stay home... ALONE.

Today Emily is home sick. She had a horrendous headache when she went to bed last night. She was then woken up multiple times by Charlie, who is like a bull in a china shop. He found himself locked in the basement by 2:30 this morning.

She woke up this morning feeling even worse, and proceeded to throw up the Tylenol I gave her... on an empty stomach (lesson learned).

Regardless, adjustments have to be made when a child is home sick. First off, I started really feeling like a Mom as I was walking down the hall with toast for her. How lucky am I to be home with nothing else pending... when my child needs me most?

Yet there was something that actually couldn't wait. Laundry, and I am out of fabric softener sheets. I don't know about you, but the last time I tried drying clothes without one, they came out like a Velcro ball, and I got shocked every time I tried to shake them apart.

Because school starts tomorrow for me, and the fact that I am leaving on Friday, the laundry just can't wait. But then again, Emily is here. Do I venture out?

I decided she would be ok. I gave her explicit instructions that she is NOT to answer the door. Not only is she NOT to answer the door, if the doorbell rings, she isn't even permitted to go look out the door. She is to stay in bed, and let them go away. Even if the Pope happens to stop by. She also was not to answer the phone unless it was me or Daddy, and of course, I called her to check on her.

I ran up to Walgreens which is about 1 minute from my door, got my dryer sheets, and flew home to find her exactly where I told her to stay. While she was fine, I felt like I was leaving my newborn baby alone in the house while I went to work! A new milestone for us. One I'm not so sure I'm ready for.

1 comment:

  1. You'll get used to it. I was like that when we first started letting Sam stay home. It is really bizzaro at first though.

    ReplyDelete