Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Foghorn Leghorn

Aside from school starting on Thursday and scrapbooking up north this weekend, I don't have a lot going on. Which leaves me looking out the doorwall, watching time go by. I know I don't have to tell you about my obsession with nature. I LOVE the birds, the trees, and everything that goes along with it... except things that try to eat my birds.

First off, Fuznut the squirrel seems to have vanished. She was coming here for more than 2 years, almost daily. Then one day she stopped coming. For more than a week, I was looking for her. Then she showed up with a couple babies, and a patch of hair missing off the side of her body, which means something got her. This was the last time we would see her.

I filled my bird feeders on Saturday, and to say business has been slow is putting it mildly. I see the occasional Downy Woodpecker, and a finch or two. Then yesterday, I saw why.

I happened to walk by the window only to see this HUGE brown hawk diving INTO the bushes, causing snow to explode off of them, and little birds fleeing for their lives. He darted in and out of every bush in the backyard. I think he scared the hell out of every thing out there. It's been slow ever since.
I didn't realize I was setting up a buffet!

1 comment:

  1. Dave's neighbor from Grand Rapids had this huge bird feeding center in the backyard with food for all different sorts of birds. It was so cool to sit in their kitchen and watch all the different birds feasting.

    ReplyDelete