Saturday, March 31, 2007

OMG! I'm turning into my Mother!!!

There is a common joke around here. Sorry Mom, but it pertains to you. For the rest of you here is my story...

While we lived in Milford, my mom worked at IGA up in town. She always got her groceries there. I don't quite remember when she stopped working there, but we moved to Harrison Township in 1986. Quite a difficult move for my sister and I, although my parents would say differently.

After we moved, my mom became a BIG fan of the local party stores. Dick's Party Store was right on North River Road. Literally less than 1 mile from our door. Pete's market, was across the river about 2 miles away. Audrey, my mom and I all worked there at some point. The owners, were pretty decent people, and very hard working.

We had to bypass these two stores to go to the local grocery stores, Kroger and Farmer Jack. When we needed a substantial amount of groceries, we would go to those places, however if it was 1 or 2 items, it was quicker to hit the little party stores... You know the place... where butter is like $8 per pound... Loaf of bread... $5 lol.

Now that has become the joke in our house... As most married couples do, over the years, we have come to know a lot about each other's childhoods. My excitement over getting my license was quickly dashed by the 2000 trips per week up to Pete's or Dicks for a pound of butter. It cost more for the product than it did for gas getting there!

Unfortunately, I find that I am falling into the same bad habit!!! Case in point... I have been to Walgreens twice in the past 2 days! Yesterday it was for laundry detergent, because I wanted to get my laundry going and Costco was too far away(It's like 1 mile). Second was for canned cat food. With Boosters recent "issues" I am finding that the resident moocher wants only canned cat food. He proved it to me today by presenting his dried "reconstituted" cat food onto the living room carpeting.

I have Meijer like a mile away too. Why my sudden obsession with Walgreens? Because 1. I don't wish to take part in international culture day at Meijer which happens to be EVERY day. Apparently manners are not a priority in foreign countries, as their former residents and our new immigrants have shown me.

2. When I need like 1 thing, why in the world would I want to wait behind a person with 237 items in their buggy?

So with that... I got Tide... 2 for $7 and cat food... yes it was pricey at $.69 per can. Petsmart is MUCH cheaper at something like $.33 per can. I am just not into shopping with the weekend warriors anymore. Now I don't feel like I can poke fun at my mom anymore and her extravagant shopping at Pete's or Dick's which is now "D" Brothers.

It all makes sense to me now...

For those of you that commented on my kitchen post and other postings... I just haven't gotten a chance to "publish" them as I still can not log in on the desktop pc. If Katrina (who thinks she has NOTHING to talk about) would UPDATE her blog, then I would be able to leave a comment on her's, which allows me to go to mine without having to sign in again... which would let me publish the comments... so GET CRACKIN GIRL!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:55 PM

    Blog has been updated Boss :)

    And I must say, that if I want to go to Meijer's I have to drive 20 minutes. We have a grocery store here in P-Town, it's called Busch's and it's higher end then say Kroger. BUT it's Sooooo worth the extra 30 cents per item to not have to put up with the terds that shop at Meijer on the weekend. Oh and Busch's still has baggers! Yeah, they're old fashioned like that. I'm with your mom, time is money baby!

    ReplyDelete