Sunday, November 15, 2009

Think before you speak!

I'm reading this book called More Build it Big- 101 Insider Secrets for Direct Selling. The title is close to that. It is the sequel to a book that I haven't read. Before going to the National conference this past summer, I decided to find some books on direct sales, and that's how I came across it.

I've been taking my time reading it, trying to absorb the tips and to put some of them to use. For instance, since I started reading it, I added 3 people to my new team. Before it was just Shannan and I. Shannan joined about a year and a half ago. We were a team of two. Then came Joy, Katrina and now Kristin. I am so glad they are with me and this is why...

In the book there is a section on team building. It goes on to say about how you should choose "wisely" because you will be talking to this person on a regular basis. You will be seeing them frequently, emailing them all the time and so forth. I started thinking back about all of the people that I had asked to join me. I think there are about 5 total, and 3 just joined. I am very picky about who I want to work with, but wasn't sure why... until last week.

I was at the school picking up Emily & Greg. When I pulled up to the sidewalk, I saw a friend pull up too. I pick up in the back of the school, and she picks up in the front. So I was wondering why she was on "our side". We are both parked on either side of the street. One facing North, the other facing South (I was north). We both got out of our cars at the same time. I noticed a southbound vehicle coming. It was a classic Ford pick up truck like the one pictured here...

I love classic pick-ups. I don't know what it is, but I would LOVE to have a 1950's Chevrolet in Denim blue. The kind of truck that has wood rails on the back of the truck. Anyway, I immediately admired this truck. The man had looked at my friend and allegedly made a face at her. I saw him too, but did not see any face. She was so angry, she started saying she should have flipped him off, or yelled or something. Why was this "jackass" making a face at her? She was going to show him!!

And that... is when it hit me. OMG... I asked this woman to join my team. Mrs. Short-wick who thinks this man made a face at her. Never in my life have I ever been so glad someone told me "NO". lol There was once a time when I would actually avoid her phone calls. Mrs. Shortwick seems to think I have my doctorate, and calls me whenever someone has so much as a splinter in her house. She never listens to a word I say, and does not seek further medical attention when I tell her. Just talking to her, listening to her ramble on about the 104 fever, and how she isn't taking someone to the doctor after 2 1/2 weeks just drives me nuts. So, I avoid her.

Which reminds me... Den and I play little jokes on each other. When a solicitor calls, I give him the phone as if it's a friend. lol. So... he got me one day. Our caller ID now shows up on our TV. The phone rang and I was in the office, so I didn't see it. I yelled out, "Who is it?" He said, "It's Helen" (neighbor down the street). I joyfully pick up the phone only to hear Mrs. Shortwick on the other end.

Which reminds me... He's due for a payback.

No comments:

Post a Comment