Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Punks

As you know me, I am not normally a negative person, however I have something I want to rant about that is really pissing me off. Soon enough I promise to take this blog to the happy fairytale land as you know it. As y'all know, I failed my last math test. Math obviously does not come easy to me. I am great at a lot of other things, but not math.

This class could be the beginning or the end of the next chapter of my life. If I don't pass, I will not be able to continue to my goal. With that being said, I would like to go off about the punks in my class.

Aside from the instructor who appears to be in his 60's, I am the eldest of all the students. I probably have a 15 year lead on the next oldest student. The rest are young punks. Fresh out of high school. Unfortunately I have to take day classes because it is easier for me to go when the kids are in school. I'm sure that the night classes have more adults in them.

Regardless, here is the situation... The instructor is very nice. He is very polite, and has tried many times to get the punks to 1. stay there for the entire class time, and 2. keep the side conversations to a minimum. After all of his efforts, many of the students are coming in late (like 20 minutes late), leaving early (one even said he was hungry as he dragged his feet, carrying his punk ass out of the class), carrying on loud conversations, and disrupting the rest of the class. I'm not talking quiet banter here. They are really causing a problem.

Then there is me. 37 y/o (there I said it), mother of 2, on her third attempt with this class. I don't have the luxury of getting a do over. This is it. At this rate, things aren't going well (hopefully todays quiz will be a turn around), and I have no choice but to try harder. That means that I totally can not let myself get confused with what he is doing or saying. It is virtually impossible with the crap that is carried on in that room.

I'm not saying that I would like to sit in a library, but these kids are disrespectful and pompous. Yet as I sit there, I desperately want them to shut the hell up! I don't have the luxury of doing this again, but obviously I can't do that.

I keep telling myself to just keep going, tune them out, and just keep trying harder. But part of me wants something done about it.

That's my .02 cents for the day. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

3 comments:

  1. I just had one of my former students go thru the same thing at another class. In a nutshell:

    Talk to the teacher. If the teacher can't or is unwilling to take care of the situation, then you go to his boss. The dean of the math college or whoever is the boss. And if you don't get any satisfaction from that person, then you go to their boss, the dean of the college. After that you start calling the college trustees.

    Everybody has a boss. Yes, it's an onerous process, but it is the right thing to do and the right way to do it. I'm assuming that you're attending a public college. If you are, then hold them accountable. Even if it's a private college, hold them accountable. Fix this or demand your money back or I start using my constitutionally-protected freedom of speech. (Just don't slander or libel them).

    You're angry and I don't blame you. I would be angry also. Yelling on here is fine and dandy, but it isn't going to bring you any satisfaction unless your teacher and his bosses read your blog.

    I've seen you when you are mad. GET MAD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what... I AM going to say something. It was so distracting today, and these ungrateful little twits thought they were funny and being cute. It isn't cute. Cuteness isn't going to get me to the next class.

    BTW... Mikey, when did you see me mad? Did Den tell you that I get psycho when I'm mad??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I don't think I've ever met Den...maybe...I'm getting old. Al-whatshisname disease might be setting in.

    Anyways, I think we were at SJW once...you were just ahoppin' mad! Not hard in that place...back then.

    ReplyDelete