Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Another Day in Paradise

Grab your seats, I'm 2.2 seconds from going on a screaming rampage.

Emily is sick. Strike that. Emily AND now Greg too... are both sick. This makes for horrendous illness #3 in this house for these kids.. this winter alone. Let's not lose sight of the 2 boughts of stomach flu prior to Christmas.

Emily went to a birthday party on Saturday, and spent the night. Sunday, I went to pick her up and the birthday girl's mom (who happens to be a friend of mine) told me that 2 girls went home sick. One had asthma issues and the other had a fever. Instantly I thought GREAT - because it is inevitable that my kids will catch it.

Monday evening, Emily was up all night with a horrendous stomach ache. Tuesday morning she felt better, but was exhausted. We let her go to school at lunchtime. (Because she was symptom-free). 3:15 we pick her up and guess who has a fever.

Last night Emily woke us up at 3:30 with the most awful cough, and raspy breathing I had ever heard come out of that child. I literally can see how parents would panic as I almost was myself. I grabbed my stethescope and listened to her lungs. No wheezing. It was coming from her throat, not her lungs. But again... she had a fever. This morning I made the appt and took her to the doctor. Diagnosis: Influenza. Luckily she is in the window for Tamiflu.

About 2 minutes after we got in the door, the school called. Guess who is in the office with a headache?! YEP. Greg.

I picked him up and brought him home. Temp of 101.4. He's now in his pajamas, camped out on the futon, with a shot of motrin in his tummy.

So here is what I'm pissed about...

The girl at the party with the fever... just spent the week with her entire family sick. She was the exception last week... until she went to the birthday party. Now Emily has it, Greg probably has it, Dennis is praying his flu shot works, and I'm wishing I had gotten one. Instead I am pounding down spoonfuls of that healthy liquid I told you about last time.

I FEEL SO DEFEATED!! We are a busy family! We have things going on almost every day and don't have time for people to be inconsiderate! I give my kids probiotics religiously so that they won't get gastritis again. They take a multivitamin daily. I make sure they are eating all the colors of the rainbow, but not in the form of junk! WTF PEOPLE!!!

As I sit here, I'm feeling sort of strange, myself. Is my stomach turning because of something I ate? Why is my neck sore? Why am I so tired?... probably because I'm nuts! The thing is, I have class tomorrow. 5% extra credit for good attendance. I don't have time to be sick. My family does not have time to be sick.

And people need to be fricken considerate of others health! Now I get to hold vigil with tylenol and motrin over my very sick children, praying they get better as soon as possible, and although I have been against the flu shot - mark my words. We are ALL getting one next year!

DAMN!!!

2 comments:

  1. Woah!! I'll just stay over her in my nice little corner and learn to play nice with all the kiddies!

    Whew! I hope you're day got better! I agree, by the way...even though I do have that five second rule...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you Val. Becca came home from school with a terrible headache yesterday, started running a fever last night and now Dave says he isn't feeling good.

    I'm walking around the house armed with a bottle of lysol, but I've had a headache since this afternoon that nothing has seemed to help, so I might already have it. This is flu #2 for us this winter and we've also had two colds!

    ReplyDelete