Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Off we go.... Into the Wild Blue Yonder...

It is official. My nephew Chris is IN THE NAVY! He left for Great Lakes this morning. I feel so emotional over this.

10th grade. I received a call from my mom. I was an Aunt! Christopher Michael was born in December.

I went to stay with them in Florida during the summer. Holly Bell was their street name. They lived in a very cool apartment complex. 4th of July, Christopher was so upset. He wasn't walking quite yet, and was fairly little. The fireworks were going off like crazy, and my brother Mike was getting more and more upset, because little "critter" was so unconsolable. While there, I experienced my first "tropical storm". It was wicked.

Shortly after, they came to Michigan when Mike got stationed at Selfridge Air National Guard base. Craig and Michael Jr would be born before they would return to Florida. I helped them move down. The feelings I had when I left are still so vivid. I knew in my heart, that nothing would ever be the same again. Some songs that I occasionally hear, make my heart ache, give me a lump in my throat and bring tears to my eyes, because they remind me of that time. I am willing to bet that Christopher wasn't much older than Gregory is now. Coconoke (chocolate milk) and prinkles (sprinkles) were my two favorite words that Chris would say.

We would see them here and there. In 1994, I had bought a new car, then lost my job right after due to company downsizing. My parents sent me to Florida to get away. It was the best medicine I could have had. The kids couldn't say my name right, so I then became "Aunt Ralph" and am still called that to this day. Spending days with them in the pool and watching my brother play softball at night made it a great vacation.

So much has changed, so much has changed... When Chris & Ashley were dating, the family came up for a visit. He was so much older, and so much taller. They all were. We hadn't seen them in so long, to deny that it felt strange would be wrong. It was like getting to know them for the very first time, yet I watched them every Sunday night right here in Michigan, while Mike & Jan (his former wife) went bowling. I changed their diapers, fed them bottles... I still remember the layout of their 2 bedroom apartment over at Selfridge.

Now, the man that is my first nephew, has his head shaved, and is in the Navy. His wife and child are in S.C. with Mike & Mary Ann. I am so scared for him. I am so worried about him... yet I can't tell you how much he needs this. Nothing will ever be the same.

I feel so old.

No comments:

Post a Comment