Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What a day...



Today started out like any other day, with the exception of a well child visit for Greg. We take them every year, just after their birthdays. Luckily for the doctor, Greg didn't receive any shots, as Greg informed Dr. Kotsonis that he would be going to jail if he did get a shot. That would have been a sight to see. Greg had worn his Police hat into the office and had his hand cups (Greg calls them cups) in his pocket. When the girl opened up the door to take us to the back, Greg promptly saluted her and without saying a word, she saluted right back! It was a very humorous visit, until Dr. Kotsonis checked Greg's tummy.

Greg has a hernia. It goes right up the center of his little belly. He's had it since birth. The doctor knew about it for the longest time, but said that by the age of 5, these things usually resolve themselves. Unfortunately, Greg's is still as large as ever. He referred us to a Pediatric General Surgeon. I already called and we have an appointment for October 5th. The surgeon literally saved Dr. Kotsonis's son Demetri a few years ago, when he was diagnosed with a Neuroblastoma on his liver. This is a highly fatal tumor, that most children do not survive. This surgeon saved Demetri's life. That was all Dr. Kotsonis had to say, and it that was good enough for me. The surgeon is way out by Royal Oak Beaumont in the professional building.

Personally, I'm having mixed feelings about this. Most of me says that everything is going to be just fine, yet there is part of me that is concerned. Anytime your child is put to sleep by medications is a risk (just read today about a 5 year old that is in a coma after a dental visit in which she was heavily sedated). I love his little tender tummy. When he was a baby, I loved to see it when it was full. Even now, I love his little belly. I love to touch it because it is so soft. I don't get to do that too much because he is extremely ticklish. I would walk through fire for my children, and to see this coming is a little bit of a blow to take. I know it could be SO MUCH WORSE. Trust me. I was thanking my lucky stars LONG before this came along.

So keep Greg in your prayers. We don't know what they are going to want to do. It's up to the surgeon. When we go on October 5th, I will be sure to post. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 PM

    Wow. I'm sure that admitting your child to surgery is tough. The surgeon sounds like the best though which is comforting. Good luck on the 5th, I'll keep you all in the my thoughts and prayers till then. Love the picture.

    BTW - That dentist office with the the 5 year old was definitely not a place I would be comfortable going to as an adult, from what I've heard about that case they were negligent. I'm sure that your surgeon/hospital is required to have procedures in place to ensure that type of thing doesn't happen. Nonetheless, it's still anesthesia (sp) and I understand your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I just happened upon your blog. My son had hernia surgery when he was 15 months old. I was terrified. He came through beautifully. He will have a tiny scare on his belly from the surgery. He was groggy for about 24 hours afterward. It took about an hour for the surgery. I am not sure where you live, but if you trust your doctor and the surgeon he referred you to, everything should be fine. I agree with katrina that the dentist office in Chicago is not a place I would ever walk into. The story is very sad. I hope your son does well with the surgery.

    ReplyDelete