Friday, September 27, 2013

Because it DOES matter!

 


Grammar geeks UNITE! I'm sorry but in my head full of marbles rolling around, there is one surefire way to send your credibility with me, out the window:

Butcher a sentence, misspell a word or use a word inappropriately.

God help me if I jack up a sentence in this post, because I KNOW who my audience is!

I am so cognizant about my writing (unless autocorrect helps me jack it up), that if I am unsure of how a word is spelled, I will look it up! Which reminds me of something...

Squirrel! (because we are getting sidetracked and who knows if we will get back to where my thoughts originally were)

My niece is also a huge grammar geek. We take great pride in pointing out horrendous mistakes on Facebook posts. Imagine if you will my pure enjoyment when she meant to say the word spelled, but said "spelt" instead! Of course I could not let that one go for the longest time until one day this arrived on my Facebook wall;

spelt

2 [spelt] Show IPA
noun
a wheat, Triticum aestivum spelta,  native to southern Europe and western Asia, used for livestock feed and as a grain for human consumption
 

True! She did not use the word in the right context however it was still a word and I learned something from it.
 
Now back to what I was saying (I think the Ginko Biloba is working) -
 
I am working on nursing homework and had this awful teaching assignment I had to complete. In writing the assignment, I wanted to use the word "Cognizant" but really wasn't sure if it was spelled with a Z or S.  I looked it up and SQUIRREL! I found this! Have you ever heard of a gossamer? I haven't and I am so excited to learn what that really is! I just saw one the other day and it turned into a lengthy conversation with a classmate on how strong they are.

Looking through the slideshow I have linked for you (up where it says I found this), I learned a new word and am "cognizant" of what it actually is!


Another thing I have come to realize this week - Being a nursing student must be the same as how someone with ADHD must feel. Everything is done at Mach 1 and you never have time to finish one thing before you are onto another and you aren't really sure you comprehended the first thing in the first place!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. ...eek now Im afraid to have you reading my blog. :P I am notorious for spelling mistakes. Not on purpose I just cant seem to proof read. Ummm shouldnt,"everything done at March first be done on or by March first? Sorry ;D Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same hang up unfortunately. For the record, I have been reading your blog and find you to be very eloquent. You definitely have a gift.

    ReplyDelete