Saturday, June 27, 2009

Crossing Over

So it took a trip to Lansing, which is where I'm writing this, for me to realize something. We are here for the State Tournament for Emily's softball team. They didn't fare so well at this tournament, however these were heavy hitters as far as teams go. They did take out the Oakland Edge which the coaches were super proud of as I have heard there is a "history" between the two teams. I'm sure over a few beers, and a lot of laughs, I will hear this one.

After todays loss the manager of the team told everyone to meet at this restaurant for dinner. We chose to sit inside thankfully because apparently I didn't realize that I got major sun today. I never felt that one coming on. As we are there, I got up to use the restroom. As I was in there, the 12U team girls were in the mirror doing what 12 year olds do best... primp.

I entered the stall, only to hear the converstation ensuing outside about this girls dad snoring like a "choo-choo train". Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have crossed over. When I had Emily I was a 27 year old kid that could not believe that the hospital would let me take this precious thing home without knowing if I knew how to take care of it or not. Somewhere in that 10 year span, I have crossed over into "the folks" role, and I'm not talking about taking care of a baby. That little baby that managed to survive two brand new parents that didn't know squat about raising a baby is now 10. Two years shy of being a 12 year old, that is talking about her dad snoring like a choo-choo train. I am no longer that cool chic that hung out with her friends. I am old, doddery, boring and parental, and I can't stop laughing about it. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED and where was I???

I still... wouldn't change a thing.

Having an awesome time in Lansing... V

3 comments:

  1. While we don't have children, I can relate on a similar level. I called my niece "kid" the other day out of the blue, she looked at me and said, "umm, where did that come from? (LOL), you've never called me that AND I'm 19, not a kid!"

    I have a 19 year old niece, a 20 & 21 year old nephew. When the heck did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can totally relate to that too! My nephew is now married with a child. I've been a GREAT AUNT for almost 3 years now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:16 PM

    Stop please, you've always been old & doddery. HA~I keed. I keed. In fact, I think you should sub old & doddery for Great Example & Awesome Mom. Seriously you are my first 'Mom Advice' i seek. Your kids are are awesome, so well behaved and well adjusted & I know that has to do with the job you & Dennis have done. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete